Law Enforcement is under a microscope. Law Enforcement immunity has been removed. The profession is the most litigated against, and pays out the most settlements, in the U. S.. Therefore, 360 Degree Policing in 2020-21 is a “must course” – not a maybe! A must refresher for law enforcement professionals.
Sometimes officers make mistakes, sometimes citizens bait them into making mistakes, and sometimes citizens are the ones making the mistakes. In every case, it is a good bet that a lawsuit will follow. Lawsuits against police around the country are ruining careers and are costing taxpayers hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars annually. In New York City alone, taxpayers paid out $175.9 million in civil judgments and claims for police-related lawsuits.
Therefore, in today’s very aggressive politically charged environment a professional law enforcement officer must keep “at the ready” central and key emotional and mental cognitive/management concepts/techniques such as:
- Emotional Intelligence- Think rationally not emotionally. Learn tips to help keep your emotions from controlling your professional actions.
- Bias-Implicit-Bias– Word choices and response to people of color or nationality can trigger an issue. Think this through daily.
- Non-escalation, or the popular reference, “De-escalation”- to work at not inciting, or ramping-up, tempers of citizens….”or” your own temper. Again, put some mental thought into this. Always try to de-escalate either an individual’s perception of your actions, anger and non-compliance to have a more peaceful outcome….if possible. Have back-up called. Don’t try to be the hero.
- Physical Fitness- An officer must be in top physical shape today. Confrontations can bring exertion within 60-90 seconds. You must be up to the task!
- Proper (& legal) Self-Defense Control Procedures/Techniques– You must learn and practice on a regular basis those permitted and safe self-defense control techniques such as proper handcuffing, take downs, and physical compliance self-defense techniques. Remember, they take consistent practice!!
- Constitutional Policing- What are your Constitutional duties? What are the citizens Constitutional rights? Remember, some individuals might know the law better than you so be sensitive to such individuals. Ask for clarity from senior staff and/or help…..avoid being “baited” or not following the proper Constitutional and local agency policy’s guidelines.
This course taken and retaken on a regular basis is a great refresher to all officers. We highly recommend this course of study!!
Estimated Seat Time of Course: 1-Hour
Each online course is developed from an 8-hour classroom-based curriculum. The average length of our online courses is 90 to 120 minutes.